New Delhi, the capital city of India is a big heart and a special one for the people who live here and also who want to explore this city. A dream place to visit. In this post i am going to list some things which i think one should know about Delhi or the one who is planning to see around in Delhi.
The city has so much to explore, living here for almost 20 years and I am still figuring out new things about Delhi.
First you have to commit yourself to travel to India !
10 things you need to know about New Delhi
The most important thing many people ask is, “How is the connectivity there?” or “How do we travel from one place to another in New Delhi?” and the answer is through “Metro”, “Bus” or “Cab”. It totally depends on you.
If you travel through Metro –
- You will save time and will travel comfortably and in ease.
- The prices are low. ( Keep yourself ready for the Delhi Metro crowd ) – Tip.
If you travel through Bus –
- If you are in no hurry and want to see what’s going on outside through the windows.
- Prices are slightly less than Metro.
If you travel through cab –
- You will travel comfortably, and if you have luggage with you.
- Will drop you at your exact location.
Totally depends upon one’s need.
If you are visiting New Delhi and the Delhi food is not in your list, please make the list again. Specially Parantha’s.
Consider yourself very lucky if you are getting to taste home-made food. Don’t be sad if you are not that lucky.
There are places you can go , not just parantha’s but lots of other things also
- Moolchand Parantha, Moolchand
- Babu Ram Parantha, Chandni Chowk.
- Hauz Khas Social, Hauz Khas Village. (Also for clubbing and amazing youth crowd) – Tip.
Check the climate before arriving in New Delhi
- May – October (June , July remains very hot touching consistently 40°C)
- In between summers, monsoon throws some relief. Around August end till sept, end.
- Winters are not that much cold, but still. Around November – April.
English is widely spoken but if you learn a bit of Hindi that will be great, people find a bit of attachment who tries to show some intent.
- People seem to be cute when they don’t know the language but at least tried.
- Learn a bit of phrases like Nhi = No , Aap kha se ho = Where are u from? Something like that!
5. Don’t commit yourself
Don’t commit yourself of seeing the New Delhi in a one or two-day.
Rather start like –
- Visit places which are closer to your hotel on Day 1 and Day 2.
- Day – 3,4,5 are to be left for places which are important to see and are far away and like that.
- It will definitely help you in planning and saving time.
What it feels to live in Delhi ( 20 years experience)
6. Choose hotel wisely
Don’t be that person who chooses the very first hotel at first sight.
- Try to search for more options , try different options like choose your location as New Delhi and search for best hotels.
- I would say look for Karol Bagh, it is a best option, you will go to anywhere easier.
7. Bargain wholeheartedly
- While shopping , people will demand for more money because they somehow came to know that you are not from this city or country and ultimately they set a price a bit more.
- Bargain wholeheartedly, that’s what Dillihites people are in best at.
8. Be cautious
- Be cautious of whatever you are carrying with you , whether it’s purse a bag or a phone.
- There are people who are ready to steal your things and then sell them at a high price. Be cautious from that people.
- The nightlife in New Delhi is not the high talk of the town.
- But there are few places like Hauz khas, GK, khan market etc. where you will enjoy a good time and nightlife.
10. Be a traveler
- If you are in New Delhi or at any place be a traveler , try to find the hidden gems , get to know about the places you go , write it somewhere , interact with locals.
- Take memories back with you and visit again for refreshing them.
This is my opinion and some of the points which i thought to be included in this .
Please like, share and subscribe for future posts.
Thank you for your valuable time on the blog.